Monday, May 16, 2016

Hail Storms and parades!

May 16, 2016

Hello Family and Friends!

It was a pretty good week this week. It is crazy how quickly it went by. I can't believe it is already Monday again!!

Apparently it was on National News.. But yes, there was a huge hail storm this week. It woke us up at 3 in the morning because it was so loud. It even flooded out apartment, which was not fun. There were fans going on the carpet all week and now it just smells like mildew every time we walk in. It's pretty nasty. We are buying incents today at the store! Really though, when we looked out of the window, it looked like it had just snowed because there was so much hail. It was scary! So many cars are dented and so many roofs were damaged. If you didn't hear about it, you should look it up! I took a pretty solid video of it, so I guess I will have to show you it in a year.

A lot of you have brought up the pictures of Florence Days! So let me tell you about it! Every year they have a big parade and lots of carnival rides and stuff to celebrate the city of Florence. Florence is where the Trail Center is, and where Winter Quarters actually was (before they named it Florence), so.. We totally were able to participate in the parade! It was so fun. I felt like I was a cheerleader again in the 4th of July parade (minus the dancing and the cheer uniform, and adding the ballet flats and a heavy pioneer dress). Yes, I have blisters and my face is sunburnt. Afterwards, there was a concert in the park that the missionaries put on. We all sang pioneer songs, and simple church songs. Not too many people were there, but the ones that were are all meeting with missionaries now. It was a neat experience.

I helped a woman clean her bedroom this week. Wow... Mom and Dad, I have learned my lesson. I am never going to have a messy room again. It was terrifying. Later, while we were sharing a message with her, I noticed a black little bug crawling up my arm. I just about threw up. Cleanliness=Happiness. So, there is my awkward/gross story for the week.

On a more spiritual note, I was able to give a talk in church yesterday. The bishop called me and asked me a few days prior, and said it would be a good opportunity for the ward to get to know me! He asked me to speak on temples. As I was pondering what to say, I decided to read the conference talk called "See Yourself in the Temple". It is by Elder Cook, and it is so good. I noticed he used the phrase of "Saviors on Mount Zion" when he talked about temple work. I decided to base my talk off of that. When we are doing temple work, we are literally being Saviors on Mount Zion for all of those who are in the spirit world. Temple work is the way we can help others receive eternal happiness. It is the biggest act of service we can do. I learned a lot as I prepared for my talk.

I hope you all have a fantastic week! I love and miss you. You are all in my prayers :) I love this gospel, and it truly does bless and change lives. I see it happening every day :)

Love,
Sister Missy Hutchison


A car with a cool bumper sticker.


Sister Chappell and I decided to try on an incredibly big pioneer dress.. We wanted to wear it to the parade to show that God loves all of his people, but it didn't work out.


Some of the sisters getting ready for the parade :)

No comments:

Post a Comment